Monday, August 28, 2017

Harvey The Hawk



By now you have all seen heart wrenching images of the devastation in the wake of Hurricane Harry on the South Texas coast. There have been many uplifting stories of rescues that are continuing as I write and, thank goodness, the rescues will continue to help those in need.

Here's a different rescue...

Take Cover! The Moment A Hawk Flew Into A Taxi And Refused To Get Out As Hurricane Harvey Barreled Towards Texas

I don't think the larger birds are as waterproof as the little ones, and this poor Cooper hawk was soaked and just found a dry place to stay until the Texas Wildlife Center picked it up.

The kind man who took care of Harry during the storm referred to him Sergeant Harry Hawk as he was taken away.




13 comments:

DaBlade said...

Why did the Coopers Hawk jump in the cab? To get to the other side of town.

I love how the leftwingnuts blew a gasket over his confederate flag... they really are more predictable than Pavlov's poodles.

Granny Annie said...

How easy it would have been to be terrified and throw the bird out. So happy this cab driver decided to let Harry stay until help arrived.

Sandee said...

I love a happy ending and this one was.

Have a fabulous day. ☺

Jan said...

Thanks for this story in the middle of so much chaos

cube said...

DaBlade: lol. I heard that he just flew in from Ohio, and boy, were his wings tired.

You mentioned Pavlov, you know he wouldn't be well known if he had chosen cats instead of dogs.

cube said...

Granny Annie: Yes, especially because those big birds can be intimidating. I've been close and personal with many hawks, owls, and eagles and they are very large when they're sitting on your arm and looking you in the eye.

cube said...

Sandee: I'm glad you liked it as much as I did.

cube said...

Jan: I'm glad you liked it. I look at the Texas devastation with the eyes of someone who lives near the Gulf coast and darkly concludes that it could've easily been my town that was hit. A little good news is better than stress.

messymimi said...

We need some good stories about now.

Kid said...

Great story. I was happy to see pets being allowed at shelters too.

cube said...

Messymimi: Yes, we do.

cube said...

Kid: I was happy to see that pets were allowed as well. They're family, too.

Snaggle Tooth said...

Great story, thanks. A lot of wild animals must have been tossed about n lost nests n burrows!