Monday, April 19, 2010

Eyjafjallajokull's Scream



Iceland Volcano From Space: The 'Nightmarish Face' Seen From Above

This caught my eye over the weekend:

"The radar image of the volcanic crater appears to show a nightmarish face, which is reminscent of Edvard Munch's painting 'The Scream.' Coincidentally, it is thought that the masterpiece was inspired by the blood red skies caused by the powerful volcanic eruption of Krakatoa in 1883.

In his diary Mr Munch wrote: 'I was walking along a path with two friends - the sun was setting - suddenly the sky turned blood red - I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence - there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city - my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety - and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature.'

Today reports of Eyjafjallajokull's impact are varied and we can only hope the least damaging one is correct in the end. Only time will tell.

9 comments:

Ananda girl said...

What a trip! That's amazing.

For a long time I thought that the Scream was a just horrible painting. Maybe it was getting older, I don't know. Now I actually like the darned thing.

Chuck said...

It will be interesting to see how the volcano effects the weather. There is talk it could set off a coling trend

commoncents said...

THANK YOU for posting this! I love your blog!!

COMMON CENTS
http://www.commoncts.blogspot.com

ps. Link Exchange??

Steve Harkonnen said...

Technically, this isn't a volcano. I don't even think they've named it, but it is a fissure eruption.

What's even scarier is that this propagating fissure system is also connected to the volcano that lies underneath Myrdalsjokull, and that one is called Katla.

Heaven help Iceland if that one erupts.

I learned all about this stuff when I was stationed in Iceland and worked with interns @ NORDVULK when I was trying to become a Geologist.

Brooke said...

WHOA! The Earth is pissed and is trying to kill us all! LOL!

cube said...

Ananda Girl: I always liked this painting. Now that I know the backstory, I find myself liking it even more. I was not happy when I heard it was stolen.

Chuck: Yeah, cooling is more likely from a vast cloud of ash, but who knows what the end result will be.

commoncents: I don't know how to exchange links with a blog that I can't even access. You find out and let me know.

cube said...

Steve Harkonnen: Cool. Thanks for the expert's POV.

Brooke: Earthquakes, Tsunamis, and Vocanos, oh my.

Granny Annie said...

I did not know this. Thanks for information.

By the way, wasn't the SCREAM painting stolen a while back? I think it was recovered but have forgotten the details.

cube said...

Granny Annie: It was stolen. I don't know if it has been recovered.