Friday, September 23, 2005

Genetic Engineering Advances

From Guardian Unlimited comes news that scientists have successfully transplanted human chromosomes into mice, a first that promises to transform medical research into the genetic causes of disease. Go here to read the rest of this fascinating article.

Elizabeth Fisher at the Institute of Neurology and Victor Tybulewicz at the National Institute for Medical Research in London spent 13 years perfecting the technique which is reported in the journal Science today.

The geneticists were reluctant to release the results of their early research using cats instead of mice.

8 comments:

cube said...

I used to allow anonymous remarks & some idiot posted a bunch of nasty links to many of my posts.

I used to use word verification, but had to discontinue it because it would often work improperly & disallow comments for no good reason.

But perhaps you're right. I have never tried them in the combination you described. Thanks for the post.

Anonymous said...

Thats so messed up. Thanks for stopping by my site!!

Jay Noel said...

Hey - reminds me of a post I did back in August titled, "Teenage Mutant Ninja HUMANS"

Chimeras - a hybrid of two different species...coming to a laboratory near you!

Helen said...

I am still on the fence (but leaning) with lot's of issue regarding genetic modification. Scary stuff!
Peace.......

MCF said...

I commented on the newest post with the spam--didn't see the rationale for login and verification in this thread. So you turned on anonymous remarks and that's what happened. Bummer.

cube said...

I'm not against genetic engineering, but it should be carefully monitored. Just recently some bubonic-plague infected mice disappeared from a Jersey lab. Not a good sign.

Jessica said...

This picture is like echoes of The Shining and Rosemary's Baby to me, it freaks me out.
I am completely freaked out now.

Unknown said...

important site Dolabuy Celine a fantastic read louis vuitton replica useful reference replica designer backpacks